”Pierogi ruskie” popularly translating as ”Russian Dumplings” in fact have nothing in common with Russia… The name is derived from Red Ruthenia – historical territories in north-western Ukraine and in south-eastern Poland.
You can eat them straight from the water or cooked dumplings from frying pan with butter. You can froze the dumplings and eat them when you will like to just, put them in boiling water and wait for them to rise on the surface.
about 450g flour
35g melted butter
0,5 cups of hot water
1 large egg
400 g potatoes
300 g white cheese
1 tbsp sour cream
2 tablespoons butter
melted butter, onion
/ sour cream 12% or 18%
1. Potatoes clean, peel, cover with cold water and salt. Cook under cover for about 30 minutes (until soft). After that time potatoes drain and mash them on puree. Leave the potatoes to cool.
3. Chop onion, add pinch of salt, fry in butter under cover (until soft).
2. Cheese finely crush with fingers..
4. Onion, cheese and potatoes mix together, add salt and pepper. Add some cream for more creamy consistence.
1. Sieve the flour. Add pinch of salt. Make a hole in the middle, pour there hot water and warm butter. Gently with circular movements combine water and butter with the flour. At the beggining with wooden spoon.
2. When you cant anymore mix it with spoon, add the egg and knead dough with hands.
2. Make it about 5 minutes to get an elastic dough. Leave it for about 30 minutes to rest and cool down.
1. To big pot put the watter, add half spoon of salt and boil it.
2. The breadboard sprinkle with flour. Roll out the dough on it on thin. Cut out round pieces of dough with wide glass.
3. Every round piece press with fingers on the edges all around. At the center put about 1 tsp of the filling, fold the dough in half and connect the edges pressing with fingers.
4. Dont leave any hole otherwise whole dunpling will fall apart in water! Also be careful not to break the dough or go out sideways. Repeat action to finish the stuffing.
5. Place dunplings gently into the water. Remember to leave enought room – they can’t touch eachother to avoid sticking. Pot leave uncovered. Cook them about 2 minutes after riseing up on surface.
6. Place them in sieve to drain off the water, ann spoon of butter and flip them a bit to let the butter melt -for avoid sticking together.
I love sunday breakfasts! When i have time to prepare something special, and eat in my pajama without rush. That’s one of my favorites options for that 🙂
for two people:
6 pieces of toasted bread
1 tbsp of milk
pinch of salt
1 tsp of sugar
butter for frying
cooked apples with cinamon
1. Mix thoroughly eggs and salt, sugar and milk.
2. Heat the butter on a low heat, dip the bread in the egg on both sides, and gently squeeze it. Hold a piece of bread over the bowl so that excess eggs drain back into the bowl.
3. Fry on both sides until they are lightly brown.
1. Wash the cauliflower and divide into florets. Cut it in half or on three parts if more thick.
2. On the baking plate put baking paper, gently spreed it with a bit of olive oil. Put on the cauliflower, sprinkle it with salt, with the brush spreed the oil on the vegetable.
3. Bake it for 20-30 minutes at 200 C, check it regularly. Cauliflower must start to brown.
4. After taking out from the oven sprincke it with grated parmesan and finily cutted fresh parsley. You can add some pepper.
There is so many versions of this salad, but the base is always cabbage, carrot, mayonnaise. After that you can add your variation. I always feel a bit better when I substitute mayonnaise with yogurt, but you dont have to do that. It’is good to have special grater for cabbage, unfortunately don’t have one, and it’s quite hard to cut cabbage in thin pieces. Coleslaw is great addition for bbq and burgers.
500g white cabbage
1 small onion
4 tbsp of mayonnaise
2 tbsp of greek yogurt*
1 tsp of mustard
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp of honey
juice squeezed from half lemon
salt, pepper,*spicy paprika
*you can completly or partially substitute mayonnaise
1. Cut the cabbage very thinly.
2. Grate the carrot.
3. Cut the parsley finely.
4. Put all in one bowl.
5. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce, adding some salt and pepper. Mix vegetable with sauce and decide if you can add more.
6. Before serving, set aside to refrigerate.
Proposals of surving – burgers chakalaka, baked potatoes spirals
For two people:
400 g fresh carrots
60 g blue cheese
15g of pine nuts
1 tbsp of mustard
A hint of honey
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 spoonful of water
*whichever you like
1. Preheat the oven to 200 ° C. Put the baking paper an a backing plate.
2. Pill the carrot and cut into strips on thickness about 1.5 -2 cm. Put into the bowl, add pinch of salt and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mixit with your hands.
3. Put the carrots on the baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes, until it will soften (but not very soft) and start to brown.
4. Mix together ingredients for the sauce, you can warm it up a bit.
5. Pine nuts fry in a dry pan, over low heat to obtain a golden-brown color.
6. Rucola put on a plate, up on rucola, on the middle put carrots, then spread grated cheese and pine nuts on a whole plate. At the end pour all with sauce.
Figs are available in markets from late spring till early autumn, so we still have a little time to enjoy this tasty fruit. Store them in a dry and cool place because they are spoiling quite quickly. Figs have a lot of vitamins and minerals. Its good to reach for it in case of cardiovascular and anemic problems, constipation, abdominal pain, bladder disease, kidney problems or menstrual pain. Properly prepared figs will help you in colds, fever, throat infections, runny nose, lung diseases.
This salad was improvisation, thats also why im not giving you exact the amount of ingredients I used. But it also depends of your taste how much of what would you like more and what less. I like this combination cause sweet figs and honey contrast very nicely with sharp taste of blue cheese and rucola. The dish it’s a nice snack or starter for special ocasion.
1. Figs wash and cut in half-shells.
2. Wash the rucola, cut the cheese in small cubes.
3. Slices of baguette spread with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and bake in the oven for a few minutes until they start getting golden-brown color.
4. 1 * Add the cheese and pistachios without shell, mix everything with olive oil, pour the figs with honey.
2 * Mix 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp of of water, 1 tsp honey and 1 tsp. mustard. Warm up the dressing. Add to the salad.
Great side dish which add to the main course lovely colors and vitamins. I’m using small zucchini called in some places ”italian”.
one small italian zucchini
1 clove garlic, minced
1.Carrot and zucchini cut in pieces (thickness: carrot about 5-7mm zucchini about 7mm-1cm). Zucchini place in the bowl adding salt. Strain under cold water after a few minutes, when it will release the juice
2. Heat a large pan with 2 spoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until a bit browned.
3. Place the carrot on the pan for 3-5 minutes, until start soften you should be able to put fork into it, but still feel resistance. Add a pinch of salt
4. Add the zucchini for another 3 minutes untill both vegetables will be half-hard.