It’s popular cake in Slovenia, comes from Prekmurje region. It consists four fillings of: white cheese, poppy seeds, apple and hazelnuts. All fillings are layered with slices of towed dough (‘vlečene testo’), which is special kind of very thin dough avaible in every super-market here in Slovenia. Of course you can make dough by yourself – it contains basic ingredients.
I made it easy this time and I’ve bought the dough, which accually was whole grains. I’ve prepare my Prekmurska Gibanica , by combining advices from friends and family and checking some other recapices and by my own feeling of course. I’ve treated with my cake few people from Slovenia and they liked it, so.. I guess I think I’ve made it work!
You can eat it cold but is also very good served warm with some ice cream. It is very energetic and at the same time caloric dessert, but worth of the sin. 🙂
500g-800g towed dough (”vlečeno testo”)
For every layer (insted of white cheese layer)
200 ml of cooking cream
100 ml sour cream
1 kg of apples
juice from half of lemon
sugar (to taste, depends how sweet are apples)
2 tbsp of soaked in rum raisins
Poppy seed filling:
150 g poppy seeds
80 g of sugar
1 tbsp of clarified butter
100 ml of hot milk
White cheese filling:
350 g white cheese (cottage cheese kind)
1 spoon ofsour cream
3 tablespoons soaked in rum raisins
80 g of sugar
150 g of ground nuts
(or 250 if you make two layers)
60g of sugar
(or about 100 for two layers)
Preparation of layers:
1. Into grated apples add sugar and cinnamon to taste. Mix them with raisins soaked in rum. Drain.
2. Put the poppy seeds into hot milk with the addition of butter, add the sugar and leave a few minutes on minimal heat, stir every some time.
3. Mix white cheese with egg, sugar, vanilla sugar and raisins. Add some cinnamon.
4. Nuts mix with sugar and cinnamon.
5. Whisk the cream
1. Spread the small baking pan with butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
2. Put 2 slices of dough on the bottom of the cake so that they also cover the baking tray sides.
3. Spread the dough with cream and top with half a poppy filling.
Then cover the layer with another slice of cake, or two. On the top of that spread a layer half of white cheese filling. Again cover the filling with dough. Then , like before, spread the cream at the dough and cover it with half of prepered before apples. Cover it with the dough, spread the dough with the cream and fill with nuts.
4. Repeat the layering again. At the top of last layer, put two or three slices of cake, Spread it with the remaining cream.
5. Bake about 40-45 minutes at 200 C.